I did a ton of walking Monday and the irony is not lost on me that I’m sitting here with my feet hurting at the end of my 29th year after how fast paced and full this past year has been. The official countdown to the big 3-0 officially starts today. While some people make a 30 before 30 list on days like today…I have different goal…just relax and enjoy life. I plan on really enjoying this last year of my twenties. I’ve come to realize that I spent a good amount of the past decade doing a lot of worrying…either about long or short term goals, about what the future holds, about grades or various social situations, if things in general will stay the same or how much time will it take for things to change. This year was a whirlwind that took me on a crazy ride. It showed me that goals will come and go or even completely change before they are ever reached and that is alright. It showed me that even if things have stayed the same for a long time…it doesn’t mean they aren’t about to change suddenly. That you can’t plan for everything. And that making a 30 before 30 list will only give me more to worry about :).
This year I’m embracing a wonderful change of pace that life has brought my way…after being in what seemed like cruise control for some time…and I am going to just relax a enjoy the ride.
Three years ago I started the tradition of asking myself a few annual questions on my birthday as sort of a reflection of the past year and thinking about what I’d like to make of the coming year. I thought it was a good exercise so I want to keep it up!
What are some of the highlights of the past year?
- Making a bunch of new friends playing skee ball!
- Finally upgrading my old laptop.
- An awesome and unexpected vacation to China!
- Attending my first Jewish wedding!
- Getting back to playing soccer after 10 years!
- Tubing on a beautiful day in Harper’s Ferry
- Exploring Shenandoah National Park!
- Enjoying my first Redskins game in person as a fan! In a suite!
- Surviving Government Shutdown
What life lessons have you learned this past year?
- See post intro :).
- Things happen when you least expect it. I had learned this in life before…but it could not have been more true for a lot of tings that happened this past year. Between my trip to China, my new group of friends from skee ball, and various other new things that came my way this year ;-)…life enjoyed teaching me this lesson once again.
- Like I mentioned before sometimes goals morph or change or go away before you get the chance to complete them….and that is perfectly alright…
- I am more able to let go of original expectations for situations/plans than I used to give myself credit for. Not that I was over “planny”…but sometimes I used to have to put more effort into keeping my hopes “down” so as not to be disappointed. Either I have been better at letting expectations go, or I have had more realistic expectations…but either way…I have been way more relaxed when things don’t go the way I thought they would.
Did you accomplish your goals from last year?
Referencing what I said in the intro to this post…I will just go ahead and say that my year was so crazy I basically stopped thinking about these goals…and ya know what…I’m ok with that….let’s see what I originally thought I would achieve…
- Keep working on staying in better touch with old friends. (Sure…a bit…but this could always use some work)
- Keep working on my weight loss goal #1. (That would be a negative)
- Sign up for at least 2 5ks next year. Consider a 10k (this is a “stretch goal”). (I did one 5k….thought about the 10k but lost track of training…MAYBE next year).
- Go on at least 5 bike rides this coming spring. (Went on at least 2…have to get back into biking next season).
- Work more on Milo jogging with the bike. He was introduced to it this fall and did really well. Hopefully we can work some more when it gets warm again! (Negative)
- Attain goal #1 in my savings account. Based on my current track I should get there in plenty of time for my next birthday…but you never know what is going to happen in the year! (Yes!)
What are you looking forward to in the coming year?
Last year I made the statement in this section…“Other than those things above I think it is actually going to be a pretty low key year…” I couldn’t have been more wrong haha. This coming year seems like it will be full of more weddings and trips that I’m excited about so I hope I’m not wrong in the other direction this time haha.
- A fun 30th Anniversary Dinner for my parents with my immediate family :).
- A New Years vacation to the Outer Banks.
- Another THREE weddings! And TWO new babies! (And all the showers and parties and travel that come along with those things!)
- The Winter Olympics! (CURLING!!!)
What do you want to change about your life/yourself in the next year?
I honestly hesitate to give myself goals for this year. Like I said I really want to just enjoy what life has in store for me this year. But I will choose a few things…and I will keep the pressure to live up to them relatively low.
- Blog more. (This birthday post is a good start!)
- Make progress with my savings, student loan, and exercise goals.
How are you celebrating your birthday this year?
It’s a skee ball night! I will be celebrating with hopefully a win at skee ball and good friends! It will be a laid back and fun night!