Welp…I’m another year older and hopefully a year wiser! Last year I started the tradition of asking myself a few annual questions on my birthday as sort of a reflection of the past year and thinking about what I’d like to make of the coming year. I thought it was a good exercise so I want to keep it up!
What are some of the highlights of the past year?
- Making some new friends at work and catching up with old pals that now live in the area!
- Successfully completing the largest off the cuff/random craft project that I've ever casually attempted haha...I won't ever stop being proud of the palm tree lamp...
- Experimenting with a few new hobbies including expanding on my sewing and becoming an Oscar snob!
- Enjoying some really great reads and rediscovering a the joy of losing myself in a book.
- Falling in love with my Fitbit and losing some extra padding this spring/summer!
- The Royal Wedding!
- A great weekend catching up with old friends!
- Great family beach vacation in Ortley Beach, NJ and even running into the cast of Jersey Shore!
- Scoring Mia Hamm's autograph on the family's Mia Hamm Jersey!! :-)
- Finding my dream apartment in Alexandria!
- Experiencing an earthquake!
- Taking a few baby steps out of my comfort zone...with hopefully bigger steps to come!
What life lessons have you learned this past year?
- Losing weight is easier than you'd think when you find something that truly motivates you.
- Similarly...reading is a lot more fun than you'd think (or remember) when you find books that really captivate you...aka...its ALRIGHT to give up a book when reading it feels like a chore.
- My next large furniture purchase will be a couch...happening either when I save up to get one I like (and pay to have it delivered and this one removed)...OR the next time I move...it is not coming with me again.
- Apartments with non-white walls feel more homey :-)...its even better when you don't have to pain them yourself
- People can only give you advice from their personal experiences and their own preferences. So while it is good to listen and take advice, its also perfectly fine to follow a different path if the advice doesn't seem to work for your own path and preferences.
Did you accomplish your goals from last year?
- Being responsible and start contributing to my TSP - YES! Check and Check!
- Keep focused on staying on top of my budget - I wasn't as on top of this one as I wanted to be, but did alright for myself this year, especially with the additional expenses of moving this summer.
- Consolidate my student loans - Didn't do this...moving it into next year!
- Go to more National's games - Well not only did I go to more games this year but I even brought the mutt with me and had a blast!
- Be better about clutter in my room…try not to let papers pile up on my desk - Touch and go with this one but the papers aren't as bad as they used to be.
- Cut back on the amount of TV I record/watch - I actually did do this in the spring and cut waaaay back...but with the fall season I'm watching more TV again. But ya know...I've realized that I really enjoy TV and that is A-OK...so this goal is getting scratched.
What are you looking forward to in the coming year?
- This is the year of weddings...starting with one next week! I have 3 more scheduled this coming spring already! I can't wait for all the dancing!
- My car payment is ending this coming year....I'm counting the months!
- Finding more activities to do with friends!
- Apparently according to one of my summer TV reality stars…27 is supposed to be some sort of epic age of realization or change or self awareness or something….I’m forgetting what she said exactly haha but I’d like to see if I have some crazy realization like that this year haha!
What do you want to change about your life/yourself in the next year?
- Consolidate my student loans (yup its back on the list).
- Be better at keeping in touch with friends and family in different places.
- Be more open to doing activities on my own.
- Find a new primary care doctor...I'm a bit overdue on this one.
- Be sure to do things in the city despite having moved outside of it.
- Complete weight loss goal #1 (almost there!) and hopefully put a dent in goal #2!
How are you celebrating your birthday this year?
My sister is coming to town to spend the weekend with me...plus she will be seeing my new apartment for the first time! I can't wait for her to see it! As a bonus we will be meeting some friends out to play some pool and perhaps some other games while enjoying happy hour! It should be a great time!